Lots of painful conditions around the hips can be improved with an effective exercise programme to improve flexibility in your hips joints.
Try our healthy hips stretching routine … we’d recommend working on it at least three times per week.
Hold the stretches for at least 30 seconds on each side and complete the whole routine 5 times.
Tips: A mild – moderate level of stretch discomfort is normal but don’t push into sharp or persistent pain.
Buttock muscles (Glutes)
- Lie on your back and place one foot on the other knee.
- Lift the underneath leg and reach around your thigh to assist with your hands
- Pull in gently to stretch your buttock muscle
- Lie on your back
- Place the soles of your feet together and allow your knees to fall apart
- Lie on your back with your knees bent
- Allow your pelvis to tip to one side and turn your head away to stretch through your spine
- Breathe in and hold for a beat
- Breathe out and roll back slowly moving your ribcage first, then your waist, hips and finally your knees as they follow the movement
- Place a rolled up towel under one knee with the other leg out in front
- Tuck your tailbone under slightly and lean forwards until you feel a stretch at the front of your hip
- Place a rolled up towel under both knees
- Rock back into your hips by pressing gently with your hands
- Stop when you feel your tailbone tucking underneath
As always, don’t hesitate to get in in touch if you have any questions
The Pilatesfit Team!